Monday, October 13, 2008

What Really Has Been Pissing Me Off (RANT, May Contain Strong Language)

So lately something has been really pushing me to the edge.  Especially now that I'm filling out all these effing applications.  I really freaking hate it when a conversation like this happens to me: 
PersonWhoHasBeenBrainwashedbytheUSEducationSystem: So what's your GPA?
I mention my GPA, which is pretty good if I have told you
PWHBBUSES: Are you taking Honors classes? 
Me: Uh, no. 
PWHBBUSES: WHY?!?! WHY!!!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HONORS CLASSES YOU WOULD HAVE DONE WELL IN THEM!!!! IT WILL SHOW COLLEGES THAT YOU CAN HANDLE COLLEGE WORK! 

Well, here's what pissed me out of this whole conversation. Last time I checked, high school is supposed to prepare you for college. Oh and what about the kids who need more help with school because they're not as motivated or whatever.  Why is it that we treat all the smart/AP/IB/Honor Roll students well while we treat the other kids who need more help with school like crap, instead of having the smarter kids help those kids who need more help? This would make a good Penn and Teller Bullshit episode, but that's beside the point.  Can honors classes really make a kid a better person? What about their writing ability/extracurriculars/volunteer work/grades regardless of honors classes or not? Whatever happened to that? I am just really fed up with people telling me that I should have taken honors classes just because I have a pretty good GPA, so what? Are all the kids in honors classes necessarily smart? What's the point of having everyone who has a good GPA and putting all of those kids in all honors classes, what if they do okay in regular classes but when you put them in honors classes they stink? Well? 

2 comments:

Robin!! said...

Fuck the people who are pushing you into honors. I think your fully able to do honor classes if you wanted to, and you would probably be ten million times better than everyone else in the room.

the IB is about pushing yourself to the limits of what you can know. there is little memorization, its mainly struggling and hoping you don't fail. in Ib classes the smartest of the smart are lucky to get 2.5's or 3's. GPA is not for those classes. not to be mean but certain people with good GPA transferred in and with the idea it would be slightly harder, to their dissapointment it was way harder than they imagined.

I think that if you know your drive acacemicallly then go with it. you know that the GPA you have is great and you are going to keep it. dont let PUSZJAHD (w/e the acronmy was)make you think diff or make you angry.

anyways....
IB students lement about how they wish they were in normal english or whatever so they would have things explained more, have more grades, and normal exams. lol.

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen said...

I agree with what Robin said, fuck em all. To me I feel that you dont need Honors/IB classes to prove how smart you are for colleges. All you need is to have a great GPA and grades and it shouldnt matter what leveal your in. IB/Honors is just a stupid label that kids put on them selfs and all what it is more work and a lot of stress. Who needs that?